Morison Abel Golf Day 2017
On the 23rd of June the OJA hosted the annual Morison Abel Golf Day at the Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Course. Last year we only managed to fill 14 fourballs and are proud to announce that this year we managed to book out the whole morning field with 30 fourballs.
It was great to see the fourballs filled out by both young and old OJs. We were also privileged to have a fourball of teachers who have served at St John’s for many year; Adrian Norris, Alan Lion-Cachet, Wynand Pretorius and Bradley Cotterell (OJ). We would like to thank them for taking part. We were also glad to have the College 1st team taking part, as the Old Johannian Association endeavours to build on the relationship between the College boys and Old Johannians.
We would like to congratulate the following winners:
- 1st place and Morison Abel Trophy: Jason Surtees (Clayton 2007)
- 2nd place and Martin Gibb Trophy: Vincent Schaffler (Hill 2009)
- Closest to the pin and Clive Rice Trophy: Andrew Chouler (Clayton 2008)
- Closet to the pin: Paul Barrow (Thomson 1987)
- Longest Drive: Ben Maxton (Nash 2006)
- Longest Drive: Andrew Egbers
- Longest Day: Grant Buchanan (Hill 1997)
We would like to thank all the players that took part in this year’s golf day and for making it such a great success. On behalf of the Old Johannian Association we would like to thank the Royal Johannesburg and Kensington Golf Club for hosting and accommodating us. We would also like to thank Glen Huddy and Wendy Huddy for ensuring the day was a great success.
We look forward to seeing you all again next year!
Gareth Heidt (Alston 2008)